Student-centric advice and objective recommendations
Higher education has never been more confusing or expensive. Our goal is to help you navigate the very big decisions related to higher ed with objective information and expert advice. Each piece of content on the site is original, based on extensive research, and reviewed by multiple editors, including a subject matter expert. This ensures that all of our content is up-to-date, useful, accurate, and thorough.
Our reviews and recommendations are based on extensive research, testing, and feedback. We may receive commission from links on our website, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted. You can find a complete list of our partners here.
Top Scholarships for Foreign Languages
More and more, knowing a second or foreign language is becoming a valuable asset in the workplace. Whether you want to make a living off of your foreign language skills or simply want to learn another language, there are plenty of foreign language scholarships available to you (many of which include studying abroad!).
Jump ahead to:
- Top foreign language scholarships
- Frequently asked questions
- Summary of foreign language scholarships
- Recently expired scholarships
Keep on reading to learn about the top scholarships for foreign languages!
Top foreign language scholarships
- Eligibility: RID members in good standing who demonstrate a desire to become a Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI). Award money will go toward the winner’s further training and education to become a CDI
- Amount: At least $500
- Deadline: June 1, 2021
- Eligibility: Students who will be enrolling in a Fall 2021 CAPA program and demonstrate financial need. Specific requirements differ by program
- Amount: Up to $1,000 (depends on program duration)
- Deadline: June 4, 2021 (for Fall 2021 program)
- Eligibility: U.S. citizens between 15 and 18 years of age at the start of the program without formal instruction in their chosen language. Applicants must be enrolled in high school (or equivalent home school) at the time of application with a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Amount: Program materials + instruction + cultural training + more
- Deadline: June 10, 2021 (Fall program)
- Eligibility: Must have completed the equivalent of at least four university semesters of Modern Standard Arabic. Winners are expected to come to the Morocco campus for the duration of their program
- Amount: All tuition and housing costs of program (Full scholarship); only tuition (partial scholarship)
- Deadline: July 30, 2021 (Spring 2022 program); October 30, 2021 (Summer 2022 program)
- Eligibility: U.S. citizens with bachelor’s degrees or equivalent training. Applicants must meet language requirements of the award they’re applying for and be willing and able to complete a project while living in their host country
- Amount: Monthly stipend + health benefits + airfare + possibly more!
- Deadline: October 12, 2021 (5 pm EST)
- Eligibility: Undergraduates who have been awarded the Girl Scout Silver or Gold Award and who currently (or plan to) major or minor in a foreign language at a four-year university.
- Amount: $1,500 per academic year (may be renewed 3 times after initial award)
- Deadline: May 13, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
What colleges have the best foreign language programs?
Some of the universities with the best foreign language programs include: Columbia University, Brigham Young University, UW-Seattle, and the University of Wisconsin, Madison. For a more complete list of colleges with the best foreign language programs, check out this list. Keep in mind, however, that this is by no means a complete list and you can still get a fulfilling and complete foreign language education at your chosen university (just remember to check out what languages are available beforehand!).
What jobs can you get knowing multiple languages?
Great question. You have many career options when you know multiple languages, including: translator, foreign service officer, international sales manager, or foreign correspondent. Knowing multiple languages can even expand your options if you’re in a vastly different field, as the number of job listings aimed at bilingual workers more than doubled between 2010 and 2015 (and is continuing to grow!).
Summary of foreign language scholarships
- Evelyn Zola Scholarship
- CAPA Need-Based Scholarship
- NSLI-Y Scholarship Program (Virtual)
- Ibn Battuta Scholarship
- Fulbright Scholarship
- Academic Scholarship to Study a Foreign Language
These scholarships are closed, but will open soon!
- Eligibility: Must have a bachelor’s degree and have completed the third year of language classes (in East/chosen Southeast Asian languages) at university. Applicants must be pursuing a career involving the use of their chosen language and do full-time language study during their grant
- Amount: Varies
- Reopens July 1, 2021; Deadline: December 30, 2021
- Eligibility: U.S. citizens or nationals enrolled in a U.S. degree-granting program or university at the time of application. Applicants must be at least 18 years old by the beginning of the program
- Amount: Varies
- Reopens Fall 2021; Deadline: TBA
- Eligibility: U.S. citizens who are undergraduate or graduate students on track to commission through the Army, Navy, or ROTC at a U.S. university. Applicants should be willing to go abroad to improve their language skills and regional expertise
- Amount: Full funding (tuition + room and board + textbooks + more) for program-related expenses
- Reopens October 2021; Deadline: TBA
- Eligibility: High school seniors or undergraduates who currently or plan to major/minor in American Sign Language, Deaf Studies, Deaf Education, or Interpreter Preparation at college
- Amount: Up to $2,500
- Deadline: TBA
- Eligibility: Students interested in studying abroad who are willing to work for the government for at least one year after graduating undergrad. Applicants should be comfortable studying abroad
- Amount: Up to $25,000 (depends on length of time abroad)
- Deadline: TBA