Apply to vetted scholarship programs in one clickAdvertiser disclosure
Student-centric advice and objective recommendations
Higher education has never been more confusing or expensive. Our goal is to help you navigate the very big decisions related to higher ed with objective information and expert advice. Each piece of content on the site is original, based on extensive research, and reviewed by multiple editors, including a subject matter expert. This ensures that all of our content is up-to-date, useful, accurate, and thorough.
Our reviews and recommendations are based on extensive research, testing, and feedback. We may receive commission from links on our website, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted. You can find a complete list of our partners here.
Top 10 Summer Coding Camps for High School Students
If you are a high school student interested in participating in a summer coding program, then you came to the right place. It is never too early to start preparing for your future, and at Scholarships360, we did the research for you with this list of the best summer coding camps for high school students. Let’s dive in!
What is a coding camp?
Summer programs give high schoolers the opportunity to hone in on their craft or maybe even decide what their craft is. These programs sometimes help students decide if a certain career path is right or wrong for them as they consider college majors. More than these things, programs like these help high school students develop skills that they can take into college and beyond.
Coding programs are extremely helpful to many high school students because it is something that is often not offered in the general curriculum at most high schools. So, programs like these help students interested in STEM to see if coding is for them!
Why we chose these programs
The coding summer camps for high school students on our Scholarships360 list are just a few of the amazing programs offered for high school students. Obviously, we cannot list all of the great programs out there. We chose those on our list because they are beneficial to students and offer a range of options, including programs that offer financial aid for students who need it.
Note about application deadlines and camp open and close dates
If available, we included the deadlines for applying and the opening and closing dates for the following summer coding camps for high school students. If the application deadlines and camp dates are not available right now, make sure to check the website for updates.
Also see: Are coding bootcamps worth it?
Summer coding camps
1. NextGen Bootcamp
- Eligibility: No prior knowledge is necessary
- Cost: Between $1,200 – $2,000 depending on the program you choose; early bird discounts are available with some programs
- Application deadline: TBD
- Camp dates: End of June through early July, depending on the program you choose
- Location: New York City or online
2. Girls Who Code
This just-for-girls summer program, Girls Who Code, gives high school ladies the opportunity to learn more about coding in a male dominated industry. Students can choose between the two-week or six-week programs, all of which are opportunities for students to develop their coding skills with no prior knowledge necessary. They also offer need-based financial assistance.
- Eligibility: 9th – 12th graders and eligible summer alumni
- Cost: Free of cost, and a $300 grant is available for students who might otherwise earned income from a summer job
- Application deadline: The early deadline is February 17, 2023 and the general deadline is March 24, 2023
- Camp dates: This is a self-paced summer program, so students are able to start and finish on their own time
- Location: 100% Virtual
3. Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists
The Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists, or PROMYS, is a six-week intensive mathematics program designed for students across the globe. The program is held on Boston University’s campus. There are daily “Number Theory” lectures as well as a great deal of independence for students to choose their own schedules. In addition to the extensive learning opportunities, there is also “mandatory fun time” built into the weekly schedule so that students are able to have non-math related activities.
- Eligibility: Students must have completed the 9th grade but not yet be enrolled in college
- Cost: $5,500
- Application deadline: March 5, 2023, at 11:59 EDT
- Camp dates: July 2 – August 12, 2023
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
4. Science Camps of America Overnight Summer Camp
Science Camps of America is an organization that offers various science camp programs to students ages 13-17. The most popular option is the Overnight Summer Science Camp. There are two options for campers– Land and Sea, or Air and Space. In these hands-on summer camps, students explore all the beauty that Hawaii has to offer while learning more about the field that they want to go into.
For students who are too young for some of our other options for STEM summer camps, this is a great possibility!
- Eligibility: Students entering 8th – 12th grades
- Cost: $2,695
- Application deadline: TBD, but applications open on January 1, 2023
- Camp dates: Land and Sea camp runs from July 1-10, 2023, and Air and Space camp runs from July 11-20, 2023
- Location: Pahala Plantation Cottages located on the Big Island of Hawaii in Ka’u
5. U.S Naval Academy Summer STEM Program
The Summer STEM Program at the U.S Naval Academy is a great opportunity for students who not only want to go into a STEM field, but also have an interest in pursuing a career in the Navy. This one-week program focuses on enhancing skills such as problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. The price is all inclusive, including tuition, learning materials, lodging, food, USNA apparel, transportation, and extra treats.
- Eligibility: Rising 9th, 10th, and 11th graders
- Cost: $900
- Application deadline: Applications open January 4, 2023, and close on April 15, 2023
- Camp dates: 2023 dates: Rising 9th graders: June 5-10, rising 10th graders: June 12-17, and rising 11th graders: June 19 through the 23
- Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Related: Computer science major overview
6. Design the Future Summer Programs
The Design the Future two-week teen summer design program is a program created in conjunction with Stanford University. The programs offer high school students the opportunity to increase their coding abilities while using them for real-world issues. Students design and pitch an app that benefits those with disabilities. They are then partnered with a “Project Partner” to help design this app. Students also have the opportunity to hear from keynote speakers and receive mentorship from people in a variety of fields.
- Eligibility: 8th – 12 grade students
- Cost: $1,300 (this program offers financial aid for those with financial hardships)
- Application deadline: TBD, Pre-register for next year now!
- Camp dates: June 13th – 22nd
- Location: Online
7. Syracuse University Pre-College Programs
Syracuse University Pre-College Programs consist of a variety of college level courses for high schoolers to gain college credits and insight into what they want to do in college. Students can choose from a multitude of classes and course topics. The summer programs are offered in multiple formats– in-person, hybrid, and online. These can be between two to six weeks long, depending on the program.
- Eligibility: Rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors, and recent graduates over the age of 15
- Cost: Prices vary depending on the length and format of the program
- Application deadline: TBD, Open Now!
- Camp dates:
- 1-week Session: Sunday, July 16 – Friday, July 21, 2023
- 2-week Session I: Sunday, July 2 – Friday, July 14, 2023
- 2-week Session II: Sunday, July 16 – Friday, July 28, 2023
- 2-week Session III: Sunday, July 30 – Friday, Aug. 11, 2023
- 3-week Session: Sunday, July 16 – Friday, Aug. 4, 2023
- 4-week Session: Sunday, July 2 – Friday, July 28, 2023
- 6-week Session: Sunday, July 2 – Friday, Aug. 11, 2023
- Location: Syracuse, New York or online
8. MSOE’s Women in Technology Program
MSOE’s 2023 High School Summer Program, Women in Technology, is a great way for students to find out what field in technology sparks their interest. In this program, students are able to dabble in multiple disciplines of STEM, participate in college level academic opportunities, and have fun while exploring the city of Milwaukee.
- Eligibility: 10th – 12th grade students
- Cost: $950
- Application deadline: TBD, but limited spots are available, so apply ASAP!
- Camp dates: July 9th – 14th, 2023
- Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9. Brown Pre-College Programs
The Pre-College Programs at Brown University offer high school students the opportunity to get involved in their field of choice before they head to college. There are a variety of classes that students can take, such as Materials Engineering, Taking Art to the Skies, Alternative Energy Engineering, and Artificial Intelligence, just to name a few. These are college level courses preparing students for what they can expect in a lecture hall or lab. They offer a specific STEM program for 9th and 10th graders, as well.
- Eligibility: Ages 14-18
- Cost: The program ranges from $3,028 for the online one-week program to $8,011 for the in-person 5-week program. Prices vary depending on the length of the program and whether it is held online, in person, or hybrid format (scholarships are available)
- Application deadline: May 12th, 2023
- Camp dates: The camp dates also vary depending on the length of the program a student wants to participate in, and there are a variety of options to choose from throughout the summer.
- Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Don’t miss: Top computer science scholarships
10. World Coders Academy
The World Coders Academy is a two-week program that offers high school students the opportunity to learn about technological concepts at a higher level. This course is perfect for those interested in pursuing a college degree in engineering, computer science, or technology.
- Eligibility: 15 to 18 years of age
- Cost: $2,495
- Application deadline: TBD, now open!
- Camp dates: June 12th – 23rd, 2023
- Location: Online