Scholarships for English Majors
Searchers of scholarships for English majors, we have you covered! We also know why you want to major in English–it opens doors to careers in law, journalism, publishing, and technology, to name a few. No matter what path you take as an English major, it is smart to think ahead and offset the cost of your degree with scholarships!
Jump ahead to:
Keep reading and discover the top scholarships for English majors that are open now!
Top scholarships for English majors
- Eligibility: High school seniors accepted to college, undergraduate and graduate students in the USA interested in photography
- Amount: $10,000
- Deadline: May 1, 2022
- Eligibility: Juniors in the current academic school year are eligible to be nominated by their school’s English department (ask your teachers to nominate you if you qualify!)
- Amount: No cash award, but incredibly prestigious!
- Deadline: February 15 of each year
- Eligibility: High school seniors who are prospective first year college students who plan to continue their education as English or history majors
- Amount: $1,000
- Deadline: March 1, 2022
- Eligibility: Female graduates of Nebraska high schools who plan to enroll as English or history majors in accredited colleges and universities
- Amount: $2,500, $1,750, and $1,250 (three awards!)
- Deadline: March 1, 2022
- Eligibility: Undergraduate and graduate students scheduled to present a paper related to Willa Cather at major conference
- Amount: $400
- Deadline: Rolling, but must apply four weeks before conference date
Frequently asked questions about scholarships for English majors
Are English majors in demand?
Yes! This is because English majors are known to be critical thinkers and excellent communicators, which are desirable qualities in every career. For example, some studies rank English majors ahead of business majors.
Are English majors worth it?
The answer depends on the cost of your degree. If you are mindful of attending a college or university a school within your means (maybe even starting out at community college) and taking out minimal loans, yes. English majors usually start out with lower salaries than STEM majors, but eventually catch up. Applying for scholarships is one way to offset the cost of your degree, so you are in the right place!
Since you are either planning to or already majoring in English, we assume you enjoy writing. Our list of scholarships for writers should come in handy.
Summary of scholarships
- Achievement Awards in Writing
- Antonia Scholarship
- Norma Ross Walter Scholarship
- Greater Than Gatsby Annual Scholarship
- Willa Cather Foundation Scholarship for Student Research
- Eligibility: English major Sigma Tau Delta members enrolled as full-time undergraduate, graduate students, and teachers
- Amount: $1,000 to $6,000 (11 scholarships are awarded!)
- Opens: October 2021
- Eligibility: Greater San Francisco Bay area Jewish high school seniors, undergraduates, or graduate students planning to or majoring in library science, or literature
- Amount: $1,000 to $5,000 (multiple scholarships awarded)
- Opens: February 2022