Student-centric advice and objective recommendations
Higher education has never been more confusing or expensive. Our goal is to help you navigate the very big decisions related to higher ed with objective information and expert advice. Each piece of content on the site is original, based on extensive research, and reviewed by multiple editors, including a subject matter expert. This ensures that all of our content is up-to-date, useful, accurate, and thorough.
Our reviews and recommendations are based on extensive research, testing, and feedback. We may receive commission from links on our website, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted. You can find a complete list of our partners here.
Top 10 Math Programs for High School Students
If you are a high school student interested in mathematics and considering pursuing a numbers related career, you came to the right place. It is never too early to start thinking about college, and high school summer programs are a great place to start. At Scholarships360, we have compiled a list of top summer math programs so you don’t have to do all the research. Let’s get started!
What is a math camp?
Summer programs offer high schoolers the opportunity to hone in on their craft or maybe even decide what their craft is. These programs sometimes help students decide if a certain career path is right or wrong for them as they consider what to major in at college. A math camp is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a degree in some sort of mathematical field.
Why we chose these programs
There are many worthwhile math summer programs for high school students available, so think of this list as a starting point. We cannot compile every summer math program into one list, but we chose the following programs because they have a positive history and offer students a range of financial options. Sometimes the best math program for students takes place at their local high school, so make sure to check out all options!
Note about application deadlines and camp open and close dates
If available, we included the deadlines for applying and the opening and closing dates for the following summer art programs. If the application deadlines and camp dates are not available right now, make sure to check the website for updates.
Summer math camps
1. Stanford University Mathematics Camp
The Stanford University Mathematics Camp, or SUMaC, is an online mathematics camp designed especially for high school students who have a passion for problem solving. In this three-week course, students have the opportunity to learn more about math than what is traditionally taught in a high school classroom. The program allows campers to build a network of fellow math lovers.
- Eligibility: High school sophomores or juniors
- Cost: $3,250 for the online program, and $8,250 for the residential program (financial aid is available for students who qualify)
- Application deadline: February 1, 2023
- Camp dates:
- Session One: Online, June 19, 2023 – July 10, 2023
- Session One: Residential, June 25, 2023 – July 21, 2023
- Session Two: Online, July 17, 2023 – August 4, 2023
- Location: Online and in-person
2. Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists
The Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists, or PROMYS, is a six-week intensive mathematics program for highly motivated high school students. Attendees are chosen from across the U.S. and around the world. The program is held on Boston University’s campus, and offers students the opportunity to fully immerse themselves in solving mathematical problems with others who share the same passion for math.
- Eligibility: Students must be at least 14 years old and have completed 9th grade
- Cost: $6,000 (financial aid and scholarships are available)
- Application deadline: March 5, 2023, at 11:59 EDT
- Camp dates: July 2 – August 12, 2023
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
3. U.S Naval Academy Summer STEM Program
The Summer STEM Program at the U.S Naval Academy is a great opportunity for students who not only want to go into STEM fields, but also have an interest in pursuing a career in the Navy. This one-week program focuses on enhancing skills such as problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. The price is all inclusive, including tuition, learning materials, lodging, food, USNA apparel, transportation, and extra treats!
- Eligibility: Rising 9th, 10th, and 11th graders
- Cost: $900 (scholarships for financial need are available)
- Application deadline: Applications open January 4, 2023, and close on April 15, 2023
- Camp dates: 2023 dates: Rising 9th graders: June 5-10, rising 10th graders: June 12-17, and rising 11th graders: June 19 through the 23
- Location: Annapolis, Maryland
4. Honors Summer Math Camp
Honors Summer Math Camp, or HSMC, is a residential five-week summer program offered to high schoolers at Texas State University. This is an in-person summer math camp where students have the opportunity to work with professors to develop important skills. Students leave the camp with a better sense of what a career in mathematics might look like.
- Eligibility: Program is open to all high school students
- Cost: $5,400 (financial aid is available to students who need it)
- Application deadline: April 16th, 2023
- Camp dates: July 18th-29th, 2023
- Location: Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas
5. IDEA MATH Summer Program
The IDEA MATH Summer Program is a program that offers students around the country the opportunity to immerse themselves in the field of mathematics. These programs are offered online, as well as in a variety of places across the United States, such as Dallas/Plano, Texas, and Boson, Massachusetts. These locations change from year to year, so if you don’t see a location near you, there may be one next summer! The program allows students to choose from a variety of courses that are of interest to them.
- Eligibility: Open to high school students
- Cost: Tuition varies depending on the program, but for residential students the cost is $3,895 with early enrollment, and $4,095 for regular enrollment
- Application deadline: March 31st, 2023 for early enrollment, May 15th, 2023 for regular enrollment
- Camp dates: June 5th – 16th, 2023 for in-person programs, early June through August for some online programs
- Location: Online, Dallas/Plano, Texas, and Boston, Massachusetts
6. The Ross Mathematics Program
The Ross Mathematics Program is a six-week highly competitive summer math program for high school students. Students have the opportunity to participate in lecture style and small group discussions, and the courses are on a variety of high level topics. Students will have the opportunity to take classes such as the Geometry of Numbers, Finite Fields, Arithmetic Functions, Quadratic Reciprocity, and much more.
- Eligibility: Ages 15-18
- Cost: $6,000 (financial aid is available)
- Application deadline: March 31st, 2023
- Camp dates: June 11th – July 21st, 2023 at Otterbein University, and June 18th – July 28th, 2023 at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Location: Otterbein University in Columbus, Ohio and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, Indiana
7. AGAM: Nebraska
The AGAM Cryptography Camp takes place at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. It is a program designed solely for women in STEM with hopes that they will pursue careers in mathematics. This program offers female students the opportunity to work in a hands-on environment with people who are already in the mathematics field. This is a competitive program, as only 15 students are selected each summer.
- Eligibility: Grades 10-12
- Cost: $650 (Early bird tuition discount and financial aid are available)
- Application deadline: May 22nd, 2023
- Camp dates: June 11th – 16th, 2023
- Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
8. UPenn Mathematics Camp
The University of Pennsylvania Mathematics Camp is a residential program created to help students interested in math as a career to develop the skills necessary for a college education. This program offers courses in discrete mathematics, algebra and number theory, geometry, and topology. These are taught through a combination of lecture and discussion by distinguished faculty and staff.
- Eligibility: Minimum 3.3 high school GPA, strong recommendations and variety of extracurricular interests
- Cost: Tuition is $1,500, and there is a $75 non-refundable application fee
- Students living in the Philadelphia area are eligible to attend free of cost
- There is also an option for a potential application fee waiver
- Application deadline: The general application is now closed, but students who live in the Philadelphia area are still encouraged and eligible to apply until May 1st, 2023
- Camp dates: July 9th – 29th, 2023
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
MathILy is a residential math program for high school students. In this program, students participate in five weeks of math intensive instruction. Students will develop problem solving skills and increase their knowledge of advanced math concepts. This program takes on about 45 students each summer, so it is based on individualized instruction.
- Eligibility: Primarily for high school students, but if you are not in high school, your application will still be considered
- Cost: $4,950 (financial aid is available for those who need it)
- Application deadline: April 25th, 2023
- Camp dates: June 25th – July 29th, 2023
- Location: Bryn Mawr College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10. Michigan Math and Science Scholars
Michigan Math and Science Scholars is an academic enrichment program created for students who are interested in pursuing a career in STEM. There are three sessions that students can choose from. There is a variety of topics and courses offered at each, so there is something for everyone. Each class session is small, with only about 15 students per teacher, so it is an individualized learning experience.
- Eligibility: Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Cost: Tuition is $1,300, with a non-refundable application fee of $100, and residential fees are $1,000 (financial aid is available for students who qualify)
- Application deadline: Rolling admissions (no official deadline, application will close when all classes are full)
- Camp dates:
- Session 1: June 25th – July 7th, 2023
- Session 2: July 9th – July 21st, 2023
- July 23rd – August 4th, 2023
- Location: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan