Student-centric advice and objective recommendations
Higher education has never been more confusing or expensive. Our goal is to help you navigate the very big decisions related to higher ed with objective information and expert advice. Each piece of content on the site is original, based on extensive research, and reviewed by multiple editors, including a subject matter expert. This ensures that all of our content is up-to-date, useful, accurate, and thorough.
Our reviews and recommendations are based on extensive research, testing, and feedback. We may receive commission from links on our website, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted. You can find a complete list of our partners here.
Top 10 Engineering Summer Camps for High School Students
If you are a high school student interested in majoring in engineering in college, a great place to start is attending an engineering summer camp. Engineering camps for high school students offer hands-on experience that often can’t be found in the class. It’s a great way to help decide whether engineering is the field for you
It can be overwhelming seeing all of the different engineering camps for high school students, so we have compiled a list to help you out. This list is full of trusted programs that offer rigorous education to students.
What is a summer engineering camp?
A summer engineering camp is a learning program built for talented students to increase their knowledge in the field of engineering. These camps also help students build their pre-college resume to help them when applying for colleges or universities.
Also see: How to write a resume as a high school student
Why we chose these programs
The ten programs that we selected are just some of the amazing engineering programs that are offered for high school students during the summer. We compiled a list of a range of different locations and prices for you to choose from.
Related: How to rock the summer before your senior year
Note about application deadlines and camp open and close dates
If available, we included the deadlines for applying and the opening and closing dates for the following summer engineering programs. Some of the application deadlines and camp dates are not available right now, but we will do our best to update. Meanwhile, make sure you check the program website for any updates!
Also see: Top free summer programs for high school students
Top engineering camps for high school students
Carnegie Mellon Pre-College Program
The Carnegie Mellon Pre-College Program has a variety of options for students with an interest in engineering to apply for, but one in particular is their Math and Science Academy. The Pre-College Program aims to connect students with like-minded individuals, strengthen their understanding of topics related to their field of interest, and aid students in preparing to apply for the colleges and universities that they are interested in attending. There are two sections of this program, with the first part being virtual, and the second part residential.
- Eligibility: Current high school juniors
- Cost: Free, but applicants must demonstrate financial need
- Application deadline: March 15th, 2023
- Camp dates: July 1st – August 1st, 2023
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Michigan State High School Honors Math, Science, and Engineering Program
The Michigan State High School Honors Math, Science, and Engineering Program (HSHSP) is the oldest STEM summer program of its kind. This seven-week research program provides high schoolers with the opportunity to get a taste of campus life while researching topics that interest them. The goal of the Michigan State program is to show students what research is like on a collegiate level.
- Eligibility: Rising high school seniors
- Cost: $3,800 (Scholarships based on financial need are available)
- Application deadline: March 1, 2023
- Camp dates: June 25th – August 12th, 2023
- Location: East Lansing, Michigan
RISE Internship / Practicum
The Research in Science and Engineering (RISE) Internship and Practicum program is a two-track program that is conducted at Boston University every summer. At this program, you will spend six weeks conducting lab research and advancing your skills in the field. For the internship, students will be assigned a research project and mentor, and work 40 hours a week. Students on this track will have the opportunity to choose their research topic from a list of many. For the practicum track, students will conduct group research focused on computational neurobiology.
- Eligibility: High school juniors
- Cost: $8,246 for residential students, $5,370 for commuter students (limited financial aid is available for those with need)
- Application deadline: February 14th, 2023
- Camp dates: Residential camp runs from July 2, 2023, to August 11, 2023. Commuter camp begins July 3, 2023, and ends August 11, 2023
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
U.S Naval Academy Summer STEM Program
The Summer STEM Program at the U.S Naval Academy is a great opportunity for students who not only want to go into a STEM field, but also students with an interest in pursuing a career in the Navy. This one-week program focuses on enhancing skills such as problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. The price is all inclusive, including tuition, learning materials, lodging, food, USNA apparel, transportation, and extra treats.
- Eligibility: Rising 9th, 10th, and 11th graders
- Cost: $800 (scholarships available based on financial need)
- Application deadline: Applications open January 4, 2023, and close on April 15, 2023
- Camp dates: 2023 dates: Rising 9th graders: June 5-10, rising 10th graders: June 12-17, and rising 11th graders: June 19 through the 23
- Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Don’t miss: What is ROTC and is it a good fit for me?
Brown Pre-College Programs
The Pre-College Programs at Brown University offer high school students the opportunity to get involved in their field of choice before they head to college. There are a variety of classes that students can take, such as Materials Engineering, Taking Art to the Skies, Alternative Energy Engineering, and Artificial Intelligence, just to name a few. These are college level courses preparing students for what they can expect in a lecture hall or lab.
- Eligibility: Ages 14-18
- Cost: The program ranges from $3,028 for the online one-week program to $8,011 for the in-person 5-week program. Prices vary depending on the length of the program and whether it is held online, in person, or hybrid format (scholarships are available)
- Application deadline: May 12th, 2023
- Camp dates: The camp dates also vary depending on the length of the program a student wants to participate in, and there are a variety of options to choose from throughout the summer.
- Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Santa Clara University Summer Engineering Seminar (SES)
The Summer Engineering Seminar (SES) at Santa Clara University is a popular option for students with the desire to study engineering in college. One of the longest running pre-college engineering programs of its kind, there are multiple levels that students can attend, meaning that many students come back for a second year. SES Advanced, for students returning for their second summer in the program, is by invitation only. The beginner program is for students interested in engineering that have not been exposed to engineering in any capacity, such as through high school coursework or other summer programs.
- Eligibility: Students who have completed their sophomore year of high school before July 1st, 2023
- Cost: Free
- Application deadline: February 26th, 2023
- Camp dates: Beginner sessions: Session one is July 9th – 13th, 2023, and Session two is July 16th – 20th, 2023. Advanced session: July 23rd – 27th, 2023.
- Location: Santa Clara, California
Related: Top California scholarships
MSOE’s Women in Technology Program
MSOE’s 2023 High School Summer Program, Women in Technology, is a great way for students to find out what field of engineering sparks their interest. In this program, students will be able to dabble in multiple disciplines of engineering, participate in college level academic opportunities, and have fun while exploring the city of Milwaukee.
- Eligibility: 10th – 12th grade students
- Cost: $950
- Application deadline: TBD, but limited spots are available, so apply ASAP!
- Camp dates: July 9th – 14th, 2023
- Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
CURIE Summer Academy
The Curie Academy is a week-long program at Cornell University where high school students can develop an understanding of the engineering major in college, and prioritize students who would not normally have access to this type of education and resources. This is a fully residential program, so students have the opportunity to experience what college life is like.
- Eligibility: Rising juniors and seniors
- Cost: $1,450 (scholarships are available for those with financial need)
- Application deadline: March 1st, 2023
- Camp dates: July 16th – 22nd, 2023
- Location: Ithaca, New York
The Engineering Summer Academy at Penn (ESAP)
The Engineering Summer Academy at the University of Pennsylvania is a three-week summer program that offers high school students the opportunity to explore engineering on the college level. Not only will students have the opportunity to receive credit for the program, but they will also get to work with world renowned, Ivy League professors.
- Eligibility: Rising sophomores to seniors
- Cost: $8,085 (financial aid is available)
- Application deadline: March 3rd, 2023
- Camp dates: July 9th – 29th, 2023
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Minority Introduction to Engineering and Science (MITES) at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
MITES at MIT is a six-week residential summer program that offers minority high school seniors the opportunity to learn more about pursuing technical degrees and careers. Students are chosen for this program through a holistic review process, from essays, ACT or SAT scores, letters of recommendation, experience volunteering or with extracurricular activities.
- Eligibility: Must be a high school junior at the time of application
- Cost: Free, but students are required to pay for meals and medical insurance
- Application deadline: February 1st, 2023
- Camp dates: Late June, dates TBD
- Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Related: Top STEM scholarships
Also see: Top STEM summer programs