August is the last month of summer and the upcoming school year will probably be on your mind. While some students will not go back to school until early September, we know that many of you will be doing your back to school shopping and wrapping up your summer reading.
Whether you are a rising high school senior, a brand new college freshman, or entering your senior year of college, August is also a great time to apply for scholarships.
Jump ahead to…
- How to win scholarships in August
- Tips for students in August
- Frequently asked questions
- Explore these other scholarship categories
Just like every other month, writing a great essay is key to boosting your chances of winning an August scholarship! Fortunately, we have a host of resources designed to help you write a knockout essay. Check out the following guides to get started:
- How to write a 250 word essay
- How to write a 500 word essay
- How to write an essay about yourself
- Overview of common scholarship essay prompts
- How to start a scholarship essay (with examples)
- How to end a scholarship essay
- How to write a winning scholarship essay
Tips for students in August
- Most college students will be starting classes again, so you should make sure that you have your books and other required materials before the first day of the semester.
- Financial success starts by building positive habits. Every college student should read these tips to learn more about budgeting, saving money, and building credit.
Rising high school seniors
- The first semester of senior year is extremely busy. Classes, sports clubs, college applications, and other activities will pack your schedule. That’s why smart students will complete a draft of their main admissions personal statement before the start of the school year.
- Same thing goes for your applications. Having a draft of your personal statement, as well as a completed Common App or Coalition Application will put you ahead of the game! Here are some tips on rocking your scholarship applications and essays!
What month should you apply for scholarships?
Every scholarship has a different timetable for applications, which makes applying for scholarships a year-round activity. That being said, you’ll see more scholarships accepting applications during the fall and winter months. As a result, August is a great time to dive deeper into your scholarship search! Check out our free scholarship search tool to get started.
How many scholarships should I apply for?
You should apply to as many scholarships as you can, while also keeping quality in mind. While it’s fine to apply for a few easy scholarships, you’ll have better luck applying to scholarships that are tailored to your specific interests and goals. You should also check out local scholarships, which are less competitive and easier to win!
When should you start looking at scholarships?
It’s never too early to start applying for scholarships! There are a variety of scholarships available for high school freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. There are even scholarships for middle school students! So while it’s never too early to start thinking about scholarships, you should start searching for scholarships more rigorously during the summer after your junior year and throughout your senior year of high school. Check out our top scholarships for high school seniors to get started!
- Top scholarships for women
- Top STEM scholarships
- Scholarships that don’t require an essay
- Top merit scholarships
- Top writing scholarships
Join for exclusive scholarships, personalized matching, and application tracking. 0% Spam, 100% Free.