The Sara Scholarship awards female high school seniors involved in the sport of golf. The Sara Scholarship was established in 2012 as part of the final will of Sara Sheehan, who passed away in 2011. Even though Sara did not consider herself to be a particularly skilled golfer, she believed that playing golf taught many life skills, especially patience and discipline. Applicants need not be on a golf team or that they plan to play golf in college. What is most important is that they enjoy the game and recognize the many positives attributes of playing.
Who is eligible to apply for the scholarship?
To be eligible for the Sara Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be female
- Be high school seniors with the intention to graduate at the end of the school year
- Meet entrance requirements and plan to enroll at an accredited college or university in the United States
- Have a cumulative minimum unweighted GPA (grade point average) of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate excellent character and active involvement with the sport of golf
- Examples include playing golf as a hobby or as part of a team, working at a golf course, as a caddy or in a pro shop, and any other direct, active engagement with the sport
How much is the Sara scholarship worth?
A minimum of twelve (12) $2000 scholarships awarded to female high school seniors who have some involvement with the sport of golf.
The Sara Scholarship awards $2000 per year applied towards tuition, books, board and other college expenses. The grant is eligible for renewal throughout the applicant’s undergraduate college career up to four years, for a total amount of $8000.
When is the Sara Scholarship application due?
The application deadline is April 30, 2022.
Best of luck, ladies!