Each year in celebration of Anne Frank’s birthday, the AFC hosts the Spirit of Anne Frank Awards (SAFA) to recognize worthy students, educators, citizens, peacemakers, and role models who uphold Anne’s ideals of hope, justice, and equality. Scholarship and humanitarian award recipients are selected based on their extraordinary social and humanitarian efforts to engender understanding, equality, and mutual respect among diverse populations of people.
Who is eligible to apply for the Spirit of Anne Frank Scholarships Program?
- Must be enrolled as a senior in a high school in the United States.
- Must be graduating high school by July 2020.
- Must be planning to attend an accredited, four-year undergraduate college/university in the fall of 2020.
- Must be willing and able to attend the Anne Frank Center awards ceremony in New York City. Transportation and accommodation will be provided for each winner and one chaperone.
- Must consent to our sharing your name, photo, essay, and award details as necessary for media and marketing announcing your award.
- Must be willing and able to represent the Anne Frank Center as a Youth Ambassador, should the opportunity arise to be a spokesperson, share your story, attend follow-up events, and maintain contact in subsequent years.
In addition to the above requirements, applicants must write a 1,000 personal essay and also submit two letters of recommendation. Details can be found on the website.
How much are scholarships worth?
Prize amounts and the number of awards available vary by year, but typically include multiple scholarships ranging from $1000 to $5000 as a stipend towards an accredited college education.
In addition, winners are recognized and invited to attend the annual SAFA fundraising gala and awards ceremony in New York City.
When is the deadline to apply?
Make sure you apply by January 31, 2020!
Best of luck to all who apply!