In 1934, James R. Hoffa became a Teamster member, subsequently serving as the General President for 14 years. In order to honor Hoffa’s tireless service to the union and its members, he was named as General President Emeritus for life. The James R. Hoffa Scholarship Fund was established at the November 1999 at the General Executive Board meeting. The Fund provides scholarships to the children and dependents of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters members across the United Stated and Canada.
Who is eligible to apply for the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship?
- The sons, daughters, and financial dependents of Teamster members (including the BMWED, BLET, GCC and TCRC)
- Active or retired teamsters must be in “ good standing” in the Teamsters Union as defined in Article X, Section 5 of the International Constitution.
- High school seniors planning to attend a four-year college or university
- Students attending training/vocational program at community colleges and trade schools
- Home-schooled students are eligible as long as they are able to provide an official transcript
- Students who have an official GED are eligible to apply
What is the award amount of the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship?
The James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship award amounts range depending on which scholarship students apply for. The Academic Scholarship award is a renewable $10,000 award split up over four years at $1,250 per semester. In addition, a one-time academic $1,000 award is also awarded. The Training and Vocational Scholarship awards are up to $2,000, depending on financial need.
When is the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship application due?
The application for the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship is due on April 14, 2020. Applications are accessed online.
Have questions? Click here for a handy list of FAQs.
Still have questions? For general questions about the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship Fund, please call 855-670-ISTS (4787) or email: contactus@applyISTS.com
Best of luck to all applicants!