The Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarship Program is especially for students pursuing career or technical training. These scholarships award students with demonstrated financial need. Students who overcame adversity and obstacles are especially encouraged to apply. This is an amazing opportunity for hardworking students who plan on careers in technical fields.
Who is eligible to apply for the Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarships?
- Completed high school (or earned a high school equivalency credential such as a GED)
- Enrolled in an eligible technical program for the Fall of 2020
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a career or technical program (up to 2 years) at an accredited non-profit* post-secondary institution in the United States.
- Demonstrate critical financial need (must be eligible to receive the Federal Pell grant as determined by completion of the FAFSA)
- Demonstrate perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Under 30 years of age
- A United States citizen
*For a list of ineligible for profit schools, click here. If your school is on this list, you are not eligible to apply.
How much are these scholarships worth?
The selection committee awards 1,020 scholarships worth up to $2,500 each year! Scholarship checks will be mailed directly to the college or technical school school of the winners. Each term that you are eligible for disbursement, your school will receive a check for $625 for tuition, fees, books, and supplies.
When are the applications for the Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarships due?
The application deadline for high school seniors is April 15, 20201at 12:00 PM EDT (Noon). The second application period, beginning June 15, 2020, is for community college students. The deadline for that application is August 15, 2021.
For a handy list of FAQs about this scholarship, check out this page.
Still have questions about this scholarship? Please email [email protected] or call toll-free at 800-684-9040, Monday-Friday, 9:00-5:00 Eastern Time.
Best of luck to all who apply!