Get matched with vetted scholarships and enter our
I’m a high school student I’m a college or graduate student
100% Free. No Spam.
    Start typing in the text field above
    Advertiser disclosure

    Student-centric advice and objective recommendations

    Higher education has never been more confusing or expensive. Our goal is to help you navigate the very big decisions related to higher ed with objective information and expert advice. Each piece of content on the site is original, based on extensive research, and reviewed by multiple editors, including a subject matter expert. This ensures that all of our content is up-to-date, useful, accurate, and thorough.

    Our reviews and recommendations are based on extensive research, testing, and feedback. We may receive commission from links on our website, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted. You can find a complete list of our partners here.

    Where Can I Find Student Rent Assistance?

    By Savannah Dawson

    Prior to coming to Scholarships360 for her first internship in 2022, Savannah utilized her campus publications by joining various fashion publications that are offered at Ohio University. One of those publications is Thread Magazine, where Savannah has had the opportunity to work on articles related to world-wide related fashion news and events, as well as articles closer to home, such as a fashion piece on Athens hometown-hero Joe Burrow. This year, Savannah also had the opportunity to be a content writing intern for Aiken House, as well as a section editor for Southeast Ohio Magazine. In 2023, Savannah served as the Chapter President of her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta. These collective experiences, as well as her experience currently working for Ohio University’s Undergraduate Admissions, has led her to Scholarships360 and aided in her passion for helping students better understand the college admissions process and financial aid. In her free time, Savannah enjoys horseback riding, watching Formula One races, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family. Savannah will graduate from Ohio University in May 2024 with a degree in Journalism News and Information and a certificate in Italian Studies.

    Full Bio

    Learn about our editorial policies

    Reviewed by Annie Trout

    Annie has spent the past 18+ years educating students about college admissions opportunities and coaching them through building a financial aid package. She has worked in college access and college admissions for the Tennessee Higher Education Commission/Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation, Middle Tennessee State University, and Austin Peay State University.

    Full Bio

    Learn about our editorial policies

    Edited by Maria Geiger

    Maria Geiger is Director of Content at Scholarships360. She is a former online educational technology instructor and adjunct writing instructor. In addition to education reform, Maria’s interests include viewpoint diversity, blended/flipped learning, digital communication, and integrating media/web tools into the curriculum to better facilitate student engagement. Maria earned both a B.A. and an M.A. in English Literature from Monmouth University, an M. Ed. in Education from Monmouth University, and a Virtual Online Teaching Certificate (VOLT) from the University of Pennsylvania.

    Full Bio

    Learn about our editorial policies

    Updated: January 26th, 2024
    Where Can I Find Student Rent Assistance?

    Most colleges and universities do not require you to live in a residence hall for all four years of school. Even if you do live on campus for the first two years, many students move off campus junior and senior year. At some point, you may need to rent a house or apartment. In this article, we are going to give you step-by-step instructions on how to find student rent assistance. Keep reading to find the best solution for your housing needs. 

    Step 1: Find a place to live

    Depending on what university you are attending, finding housing can be the most difficult part of the process. Start looking for your apartment or house a year in advance, and take tours of multiple places so that you can get a feel for the different types of landlords, apartment complexes, and amenities. 

    Once you find places that you can see yourself living, look at the cost of monthly rent, amenities, and utilities. Determine whether or not the price is something that you are willing and able to pay, and go from there. Remember not to stretch your budget too thin!

    Step 2: Complete your FAFSA

    For most things related to college, filling out the FAFSA is the number one step to complete. Federal aid and many scholarships and grants are contingent upon information from the FAFSA, so it really is important to complete as early as possible, and always by the deadline. 

    The FAFSA can give you access to Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grants, and more. All of these are applicable for housing and tuition, along with other fees that may come along during the process. 

    Related: Using student loans for off-campus housing 

    Step 3: Start applying for scholarships

    Many scholarships can be used for anything relating to school, and this includes housing as well. If you are confused on where to start, you can log into Scholarships360 to create a profile with our scholarship database and search tool, which will make it easier to find scholarships that are more fine-tuned to you as a person, both academically and personally. There are a plethora of opportunities for international students to apply for scholarships as well. 

    Your school may also offer scholarships that can be applied to housing. Go to your university’s scholarship page on their website and check out all of the academic scholarships you are eligible for. Some schools may automatically put you into the running for awards, while you’ll have to apply for others with a special application. 

    Also see: Laptop scholarships for college students

    Alternative options for student rent assistance

    If you find yourself at a disadvantage when searching for  housing assistance,  there are a few options to try. Remember, before your situation becomes dire, reach out to your college or university for assistance. Perhaps they have a solution, or someone who can guide you toward one. For now, the following options are worth exploring.

    Emergency housing assistance through Catholic Charities 

    If you feel that you are at risk of not having housing. Catholic Charities offers one-time help for students in need, and you do not need to be Catholic to utilize their services. Some of these organizations will pay for your security deposit, first month’s rent, as well as other fees that may come with it. 

    Section 8 housing and Housing and Urban Development Department (HUD)

    These government sponsored programs are for individuals who are at risk of experiencing housing insecurity. College students can be eligible for Section 8 housing depending on their income. Because HUD is government sponsored, you will need to apply at the public housing agency closest to the college you are attending.

    The U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development has various programs for students who are struggling. HUD’s Neighborhood Choice program utilizes private and public funding to address struggling neighborhoods. They also give more options for grants that you can apply to for funding for housing. 

    Become a Resident Assistant (RA)

    If you are struggling to find affordable housing, or you can’t seem to find any apartments or houses left open in your college town, you can always apply to be a Resident Assistant. Not only do most RAs get free housing and occasionally a meal plan, but they also get paid hourly when they are working. Apply as early as possible, as resident assistant positions require applications and can be competitive to receive. 

    Being an RA comes with responsibility, as you will be in charge of a group of students that are your age or younger. If you feel that you are up for the challenge, go for it! This is a great way to acquire free housing, develop leadership skills, and make friends along the way. 

    Related: Resident assistant jobs: Everything you need to know

    Federal Work Study

    Federal Work-Study can provide undergraduate and graduate students with a part-time job that allows them to pay for school. This opportunity is available to students with financial need, and can be an option for students to work to pay for their everyday life as a college student so that their scholarships can go towards tuition and rent. It is important to note that if you are awarded a Federal Work Study, this does not guarantee you a job. Remember, if you take this route, be sure to apply at more than one place so that your chances of getting a job are higher.  

    Closing thoughts on finding student rent assistance

    Ultimately, there are many ways that you are able to find off-campus housing without breaking your bank. With grants, scholarships, and government assistance programs, there are many options. Start your search early on so that you find housing that is affordable, safe, and comfortable as you continue your higher education studies. 

    At Scholarships360, we understand that the college application process is a stressful time for students, and that is why we want to make it easier on you! If you want to learn more about grants, scholarships, and housing, check out some of our other articles! Good luck on your college journey!

    Key Takeaways

    Key Takeaways

    • There are a variety of ways to help students pay for rent while in college
    • Applying for the FAFSA is the start of everything when it comes to financial aid
    • Applying for scholarships is the easiest way to acquire money for school and rent that you do not have to pay back
    • There are many places willing to help students in need, you just have to look for them!
    Key Takeaways

    Frequently asked questions about student rent assistance

    How many times can I apply for rent assistance?

    This will depend on the program and organization that is providing rent assistance. Some programs can only be applied to once, while others may be annual for the duration of time that you are in school. It is important to reach out to these organizations ahead of time and make note of the ones that allow you to apply in future years so that you can make note of that for future reference.

    Can I use scholarships and financial aid towards housing?

    Yes, usually, this happens after financial aid has been applied to tuition and other fees from your school. There is an option for the leftover financial aid to be directly deposited into your account that you have set up with your school. If you do not have direct deposit, then you might receive the leftover amount in the form of a check. Then you can use it to pay your rent! 

    Also, if you live in on-campus housing, usually that payment will be made through your student account, so that will automatically be taken out of your financial aid prior to it being deposited into your account. 

    Scholarships360 Recommended

    3 reasons to join scholarships360

    • Automatic entry to our $10,000 No-Essay Scholarship
    • Personalized matching to thousands of vetted scholarships
    • Quick apply for scholarships exclusive to our platform

    By the way...Scholarships360 is 100% free!

    Join For Free