Get matched with vetted scholarships and enter our
Please select whichever best describes you for the upcoming 2024 - 2025 academic year.
I’m a high school student I’m a college or graduate student
100% Free. No Spam.
    Start typing in the text field above
    Advertiser disclosure

    Student-centric advice and objective recommendations

    Higher education has never been more confusing or expensive. Our goal is to help you navigate the very big decisions related to higher ed with objective information and expert advice. Each piece of content on the site is original, based on extensive research, and reviewed by multiple editors, including a subject matter expert. This ensures that all of our content is up-to-date, useful, accurate, and thorough.

    Our reviews and recommendations are based on extensive research, testing, and feedback. We may receive commission from links on our website, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted. You can find a complete list of our partners here.

    What is the Student and Exchange Visitor Program?

    By Lisa Freedland

    Lisa Freedland is a Scholarships360 writer with personal experience in psychological research and content writing. She has written content for an online fact-checking organization and has conducted research at the University of Southern California as well as the University of California, Irvine. Lisa graduated from the University of Southern California in Fall 2021 with a degree in Psychology.

    Full Bio

    Learn about our editorial policies

    Edited by Maria Geiger

    Maria Geiger is Director of Content at Scholarships360. She is a former online educational technology instructor and adjunct writing instructor. In addition to education reform, Maria’s interests include viewpoint diversity, blended/flipped learning, digital communication, and integrating media/web tools into the curriculum to better facilitate student engagement. Maria earned both a B.A. and an M.A. in English Literature from Monmouth University, an M. Ed. in Education from Monmouth University, and a Virtual Online Teaching Certificate (VOLT) from the University of Pennsylvania.

    Full Bio

    Learn about our editorial policies

    Updated: May 21st, 2024
    What is the Student and Exchange Visitor Program?

    Every year, millions of international students enroll in universities all across the United States. Around the start of each school term, these students are expected to enroll in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. Better known as SEVIS, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program keeps track of international students’ records, the SEVP-certified schools they attend, and more. To learn more about SEVIS and how you can register for it, keep on reading!

    Don’t miss: Scholarships360’s free scholarship search tool (includes opportunities for international students)

    What is SEVP?

    First and foremost, what is the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)? Good question! The SEVP is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) program that oversees the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). 

    What is SEVIS?

    With that said, you may very well be wondering what SEVIS is. Essentially, SEVIS is a computer-based system that keeps track of “nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors” in the United States. Students and exchange visitors receive one of two statuses, including: 

    • F or M immigrant status: For students admitted to an SEVP-certified school
      • To learn more about what constitutes a SEVP-certified school, be sure to check out our guide on SEVP certified schools
    • J nonimmigrant status: Granted to exchange visitors participating in a Department of State-verified exchange visitor program

    No matter which status one receives, their records and information will be tracked in SEVIS until the conclusion of their studies or program in the U.S. 

    As to how exactly SEVIS relates to SEVP, SEVIS allows SEVP to ensure that schools and exchange visitor programs are accurately reporting information. SEVIS has also created a process by which student and/or exchange visitor program violators can be identified and penalized. Together, both of these work to ensure utmost accuracy in SEVIS. 

    So, how exactly can you know what “status” you fall under? Let’s take a look.

    Also see: F-1 to green card: a step-by-step guide

    Determining your SEVIS status

    As briefly mentioned earlier, one’s status in SEVIS is dependent upon what type of program they’re entering. Those enrolling in SEVP-certified schools typically have F or M immigrant status, while those in exchange visitor programs are given J nonimmigrant status.

    However, one’s program type is not the only way they can determine their status. Another particularly easy way (if you’ve already completed or are in the process of applying for a student visa) is by looking at the type of visa you have! Before we get into visa types, though, it’s best we go over what exactly a student visa is.

    What is a US student visa?

    A US student visa allows international students (i.e. those without U.S. citizenship or permanent residence) to temporarily stay in the U.S. while studying at an approved school, language program, or academic exchange program. Once you complete your course of study, your visa expires. You must leave the U.S. unless you have secured a way to extend your stay through other means. This may include obtaining a work visa or a green card, seeking asylum, partaking in military service, or a variety of other options. To learn more about these options, be sure to check out F-1 to green card: a step by step guide.

    For now, though, let’s look into the different types of student visas you can obtain.

    Types of student visas

    If you’re looking to study in the U.S. as an international student, chances are you’ll need to obtain a student visa. The first step in this process is to identify the type of student visa you’ll need. There are three types: F-1, M-1, and J-1. While you’ll most likely need the F-1 visa if you’re planning on studying full-time in the U.S. as an undergraduate or graduate student, we’ll go over them all to make things easier. So, let’s get into it!

    F-1 Visa

    The F-1 visa is for those planning on attending university, high school, or a language program in the U.S. It has a grace period of 60 days, allowing you to stay in the U.S. up to 60 days after your graduation before departing.

    M-1 Visa

    The M-1 visa is for non-academic or career-oriented study in the U.S. This includes culinary programs, medical training programs, makeup/beautician training, and a variety of other vocational types of study. As these programs tend to be shorter than those included under the F-1 visa, the grace period is only 30 days (meaning that students with an M-1 visa can stay in the U.S. up to 30 days after graduation before they must depart).

    J-1 Visa

    Last, but certainly not least, is the J-1 visa! This visa type is for exchange students, including study abroad students, interns, scholars, and even au pairs. Like the M-1 visa, the J-1 visa has a grace period of only 30 days.

    And those are your options! Hopefully, one of them seems most fitting for your particular circumstances. If you’re seeking out an F-1 or M-1 visa, you more than likely will be given “F or M immigrant status” in SEVIS. Those with J-1 visas, on the other hand, will likely be granted “J nonimmigrant status” in SEVIS. 

    Registering for SEVIS

    You’re now familiar with most all you need to know about SEVIS. However, you may be wondering: how do I register? Well, you’re in luck – you don’t have to!

    As it turns out, students are not responsible for registering themselves in SEVIS (for the most part). While the actual registration aspect is completed by a university’s Designated School Officials (DSO), students will be expected to complete a few steps before this can happen. These include:

    1. Receive acceptance to an SEVP-certified school or exchange visitor program 
    2. a) F-1 and M-1 visa students: Receive and sign the I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.
      b) J-1 visa students: Receive and sign the DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status). 
    3. Pay the I-901 SEVIS fee
      1. $350 for F-1/M-1 students
      2. $220 for J-1 students
      3. $35 for those entering short-term J-1 programs
    4. Bring the form to your student visa interview

    Don’t miss: Guide for international students to studying in the U.S.A.

    Enjoy learning in the USA!

    After this is all done, your DSO should go ahead and handle the rest for you. If they have any specific questions or requests of you, it is likely that they will contact you directly. 

    With that, we’ve covered about all you need to know about SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Program)! However, be sure to check out “What are SEVP certified schools?” if you want more in-depth information on SEVP-certified schools.

    No matter which type of program you choose, we hope you have a great time while in the U.S. We’re happy to have you here!

    P.S.: If you are a DSO and are looking for some help registering students in SEVIS, we would highly recommend checking out “SEVIS Help Hub: Registration” from the Department of Homeland Security themselves. It should be able to answer any questions you have and make the process as smooth as possible. Good luck!

    Related: How to get a U.S. student visa: everything you need to know

    Frequently asked questions about the Student Exchange and Visitor Program 

    What is the “five month” rule?

    Great question! The “five month rule” allows students with F-1 visas to retain their visa status if they take a leave of absence of less than five months. As long as you file accurate information about your leave on time with the appropriate office, you will not be required to reapply for an F-1 visa to re-enter the U.S. Nor will you have to re-file your I-20 or DS-2019 if you return to the U.S. before either of these documents expire.

    If one fails to file information about their leave on time or does not maintain part- or full-time student status for at least five months, this may result in the cancellation of your record in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS). Such terminations may apply to students who fit the following criteria:

    • Individuals who have had their student record terminated (not been part- or full-time students) for more than five months
    • Individuals who have spent over five months outside the U.S. during an absence from school, with the exception of those participating in authorized study abroad programs

    If you’re considering taking a leave of absence and are worried that your SEVIS record will be terminated, we would highly recommend reaching out to your academic advisor. They should inform you of your options and help guide you through the process of taking a leave of absence, if necessary.

    Can I stay in the U.S. during SEVIS transfer?

    Yes! Once you (an international student with F-1 status) are admitted to another U.S. institution for transfer, you must then request that your current university release your SEVIS I-20 record to your new school. This process is called a “SEVIS Transfer” and gives you the following benefits:

    • You will not have to pay the $350 SEVIS fee again
    • You can remain in the U.S. in between the time you leave your current institution and start at the new one
    • You may keep the same SEVIS ID number
      • This may make you eligible for specific benefits at your new school earlier

    What happens if my F1 visa expires?

    We have some great news for you: you can stay in the U.S. on an expired F1 visa! Well, this is true as long as you fulfill certain conditions. Here’s what you need to do to ensure that you can stay in the U.S. on an expired F-1 visa:

    • Maintain your part- or full-time student status 
    • Do not travel to a country where automatic revalidation does not apply
      • If you do this, you will need to apply for a valid visa to return to the United States

    Start your scholarship search
    • Vetted scholarships custom-matched to your profile
    • Access exclusive scholarships only available to Scholarships360 members
    Get Started

    3 reasons to join scholarships360

    • Automatic entry to our $10,000 No-Essay Scholarship
    • Personalized matching to thousands of vetted scholarships
    • Quick apply for scholarships exclusive to our platform

    By the way...Scholarships360 is 100% free!

    Join For Free