Eagle Scout Scholarships
If you are in the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), the highest rank that you can receive is Eagle Scout. The process of becoming an Eagle Scout entails a lengthy review process and the completion of an Eagle Scout project. Becoming an Eagle Scout is a fantastic way to demonstrate leadership and service in the scholarship and admissions processes. Additionally, Eagle Scout scholarships are available specifically for students who have attained the highest rank in Boy Scouts.
Keep on reading to learn a bit more about these Eagle Scout scholarships!
National Eagle Scout Association Scholarships
The National Eagle Scout Association (NESA) is an organization that aims to support and connect Eagle Scouts and Eagle Scout alumni. The NESA also offers a number of scholarships for students in three areas: academic, merit, and NESA World Explorer.
The NESA Academic Scholarships support Eagle Scouts who are “getting it done” in the classroom. Here are the details:
- Eligibility: Students must be Eagle Scouts who are in their senior year of high school and have a minimum of SAT of 1290 or ACT of 28.
- Award: These scholarships range from $25,000 to $48,000 for four years.
- Deadline: October 31st
Note that students who have their Eagle Scout review after October 31st of their senior year are able to apply during the next scholarship cycle as a college freshman.
There is also a separate STEM Scholarship for an Eagle Scout who is planning to major in a STEM-related field. This scholarship is worth $50,000 over four years.
The next type of scholarships that the NESA awards are merit scholarships. These scholarships are awarded to Eagle Scouts who have strong academic performance, a record of community service, and have been involved in their school and Scouting communities. Here’s some high-level info about the merit scholarships:
- Eligibility: Students must be Eagle Scout who are a current high school senior, college freshman, college sophomore, college junior, or have one year remaining at a vocational or trade school.
- Award: $2,000 to $5,000
- Deadline: October 31st (students can apply for these scholarships multiple times)
NESA World Explorer
The third type of Eagle Scout Scholarships are the NESA World Explorer scholarships. These scholarships help fund NESA World Explorer field trips that occur around the world! Here’s some more info about these awards:
- Eligibility: Students must be between the ages of 18 and 35
- Amount: Vary (cover the costs of travel, lodging and registration for NESA World Explorer research trips).
- Deadline: October 31st (students can apply multiple times)
There are also a number of private scholarships for Eagle Scouts that are awarded by private civic and religious organizations. Luckily, the NESA has a great list of these opportunities for students.
College-Specific Eagle Scout Scholarships
Some colleges may also award specific scholarships to Eagle Scouts. You can check in with the specific colleges on your list, but here are a few notable colleges that have such awards:
The Eagle Scout rank is a great honor for students and a fantastic way to show community service and leadership abilities. Your Eagle Scout rank and Eagle Scout project are great things to highlight in your applications to any college or scholarship.
Additionally, there are some great scholarships that are specifically for Eagle Scouts! These can be a great way to fund your college education!