Dance has been a part of human history for as long as we can remember. It has always been a way to express oneself physically and spatially, and is an important part of many festivities. There is also an art and science to dance that scholars study in academic environments. Dance scholarships are available so that students can develop a greater understanding of this age-old art form with less of a financial burden.
If you are a dancer or wish to study dance, here are some of the best scholarships in the dance disciplines for this year!
College-specific dance scholarships
- Eligibility: Incoming freshmen who demonstrate outstanding talent at an audition. To renew the scholarship each year, recipients must maintain a 3.0 GPA, participate fully in all department performance activities and be a good university citizen
- Amount: $3,000-$5,000 per year
- Deadline: Schedule an audition
- Eligibility: Students must apply to the college and must audition for the Theater and Dance Department. Students must be accepted to the college before they can apply for any scholarship awards
- Amount: $1,500/year – full scholarship
- Deadline: Depends on the audition dates.
- Eligibility: Students must be enrolled and participate in an audition
- Amount: $500-$5,000
- Deadline: Rolling application
- Eligibility: Students must be enrolled/accepted into the college and participate in auditions
- Amount: $4,000-$5,000
- Deadline: Depends on scheduled audition
- Eligibility: High school seniors with talents in art, dance, debate, music, and theater
- Amount: $64,000, which equals $8,000 per semester, renewable for eight semesters of undergraduate study (20 scholarships awarded each year)
- Deadline: December 1 of each year
How to win scholarships for dance students
Now that you’ve done the hard work of finding scholarships to apply for, you must complete the next step, which is writing an application that stands out! As a dancer, you know that competition can be fierce, and starting off on the right foot is key!
Meaning you’ll want to write a winning scholarship essay straight from the start. Additionally, competitive scholarships may ask for you to write a scholarship resume or just to write about yourself. From the basics to the specifics, we have you covered. We even have entire articles dedicated to helping you start a scholarship essay and end it!
The effort you put into your scholarships will be noticeable to those reviewing your application. Take your time, do your research and try your best!
Resources for dance students
The American College Dance Association unites students studying dance across the country, and hosts conferences and showcases on national and regional levels. Joining the ACDA is a great way to learn more about the broader field of dance, get inspiration from across the country, and meet new people.
Dance requires a broad skillset, and one of the most important factors for students is their connection to their bodies. This organization offers workshops and conferences to help participants center themselves in their bodies. These are skills that could help any dancer!
Frequently asked questions about dance scholarships
What colleges give scholarships for dance?
Many colleges across the country offer scholarships for valued dancers. One of the best things students seeking dance, or any other scholarships, can do is check the financial aid website of the colleges they are applying to. The earlier the better, since sometimes awards are on a “first come, first served” basis.
Does UCLA offer dance scholarships?
UCLA offers the Jean Irwin Dance Fund scholarship, which is awarded to UCLA dancing students that have a financial need.
What GPA do I need to get a full scholarship?
There is no set number on the GPA scale. In general, scholarships tend to be based on a variety of factors. As a general rule of thumb, scholarships tend to require a B average, or a 3.0 GPA.
Join for exclusive scholarships, personalized matching, and application tracking. 0% Spam, 100% Free.