Top Dance Scholarships in 2021
Dance has been a part of human history for as long as we can remember. It has always been a way to express oneself physically and spatially, and is an important part of many festivities. There is also an art and science to dance that scholars study in academic environments. Dance scholarships are available so that students can develop a greater understanding of this age-old art form with less of a financial burden.
- Top Scholarships for Dance Students
- College-Specific Dance Scholarships
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Summary of Scholarships
- Upcoming Scholarships
If you are a dancer or wish to study dance, here are some of the best scholarships in the dance disciplines for this year!
Top dance scholarships in 2021
- Eligibility: High school and undergraduates who submit a short written answer along with a link to an original song, dance, or art piece that represents their “everything”
- Amount: $14,770
- Deadline: June 20, 2021
- Eligibility: Students who intend to pursue dance and/or the performing arts in college
- Amount: $500
- Deadline: August 1, 2021
- Eligibility: High school and undergraduate students who draw, paint, sculpt, dance, act, sing, rap, play an instrument, film/photograph, produce music/films, write, etc.
- Amount: $500
- Deadline: July 1, 2021
- Eligibility: Black students pursuing a degree in the performing arts. Must be currently enrolled full-time in an accredited academic institution, and have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Amount: $3,000
- Deadline: May 7, 2021
- Eligibility: College students and high school seniors enrolled in a dance and performing arts degree program. They must be a resident of Southern California, and studying at a dance or performing arts school, company, studio, university or institution in our Southern California community. Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Amount: $1,000
- Deadline: May 31, 2021
- Eligibility: Students must major in something pertaining to the movement of the body, from dance to kinesiology.
- Amount: $1,000
- Deadline: July 19, 2021
- Eligibility: Students must be ballet dancers
- Amount: $500-$1,000
- Deadline: Rolling
College-specific dance scholarships
- Eligibility: Incoming freshmen who demonstrate outstanding talent at an audition. To renew the scholarship each year, recipients must maintain a 3.0 GPA, participate fully in all department performance activities and be a good university citizen
- Amount: $3,000-$5,000 per year
- Deadline: Schedule an audition
- Eligibility: Students must apply to the college and must audition for the Theater and Dance Department. Students must be accepted to the college before they can apply for any scholarship awards
- Amount: $1,500/year – full scholarship
- Deadline: Depends on the audition dates.
- Eligibility: Students must be enrolled and participate in an audition
- Amount: $500-$5,000
- Deadline: Rolling application
- Eligibility: Students must be enrolled/accepted into the college and participate in auditions
- Amount: $4,000-$5,000
- Deadline: Depends on scheduled audition
- Eligibility: High school seniors with talents in art, dance, debate, music, and theater
- Amount: $64,000, which equals $8,000 per semester, renewable for eight semesters of undergraduate study (20 scholarships awarded each year)
- Deadline: December 1 of each year
Frequently asked questions about dance scholarships
What colleges give scholarships for dance?
Many colleges across the country offer scholarships for valued dancers. One of the best things students seeking dance, or any other scholarships, can do is check the financial aid website of the colleges they are applying to. The earlier the better, since sometimes awards are on a “first come, first served” basis.
Does UCLA offer dance scholarships?
UCLA offers the Jean Irwin Dance Fund scholarship, which is awarded to UCLA dancing students that have a financial need.
What GPA do I need to get a full scholarship?
There is no set number on the GPA scale. In general, scholarships tend to be based on a variety of factors. As a general rule of thumb, scholarships tend to require a B average, or a 3.0 GPA.
Summary of scholarships
- $14,770 3LAU “Everything” Scholarship
- $500 Dale Dance Scholarship
- $500 Ocho Cares Artistry Scholarship
- CBC Spouses Performing Arts Scholarship
- DDF/DREAM Dance Performing Arts Scholarship Award
- MFMA Academic Scholarships
- Brown Girls Do Ballet Scholarships
Upcoming dance scholarships
- Eligibility: Nominees selected at the AmeriDance and Eastern Dance Camps based on their artistic skills. Dance routine scores of 85 percent and higher qualify, and dancers must have good academic standing
- Amount: $1,000
- Eligibility: Iowa High School Seniors
- Amount: $1,500
- Eligibility: Black, Indigenous, and Person of Color students at all levels who are interested in new approaches to theater, dance, and/or film. Essay about a project you would like to complete is required
- Amount: $2,500
- Eligibility: Students mustang submit a video/DVD highlighting a variety of performance techniques. There is also a $35 registration fee, in exchange for which the student’s name will be included on a database that is made available to schools and universities looking for talented dancers.
- Amount: $250-$10,000
- Eligibility: Dance students who are in their second year of studies at a non-profit school.
- Amount: $5,000-$25,000
- Eligibility: Students enrolled in college with a dance minor or major.
- Amount: $500-$2,000