The Young Scholars Program is a selective pre-college scholarship for high-performing 7th grade students with financial need.
Who is eligible to apply for the Young Scholars Program?
As minimum criteria to apply, students must:
- Currently be in 7th grade
- Reside and plan to attend high school in the U.S. or U.S. territory
- Earn grades of all or mostly As with no Cs in core academic subjects during 6th and 7th grade (English/Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies/History)
- Have a family adjusted gross income of less than $95,000
- Be willing to participate in multi-week residential summer programs, including two required Cooke scholar programs after 8th and 11th grades
What is is the Young Scholars Program award?
The Young Scholars Program provides scholars with educational and college advising as well as financial support for academic and extracurricular enrichment from 8th grade through high school.
Beginning in 8th grade, Cooke Young Scholars:
- Participate in high-quality academic and extracurricular opportunities in their local community, on college campuses, and around the globe.
- Develop the knowledge, talents, and leadership skills to be significant contributors.
- Set and reach academic and talent goals that will prepare them to be competitive, well-informed applicants for our nation’s best colleges and universities.
Each receives a unique combination of opportunities that may include:
- Guidance in selecting a high school and, if necessary, support in applying to a private or magnet high school.
- Summer academic or enrichment programs.
- Computers, software, or other learning technology.
- Specialized support in music, art, science, math, or other subjects.
- Connection with a nationwide community of Cooke Young Scholars.
- Resources for career exploration and mentorship.
- College advising and counseling.
When is the application for the Young Scholars Program due?
All materials must be submitted before the deadline on Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EST.
Best of luck to all who apply!