According to their website, “Since 1991, the Union Plus Scholarship Program has awarded more than $4.3 million to students of working families who want to begin or continue their post-secondary education.Over 3,000 families have benefited from our commitment to higher education. The Union Plus Scholarship Program is offered through the Union Plus Education Foundation, supported in part by contributions from the provider of the Union Plus Credit Card. (You do not need to be a Union Plus Credit Card holder to apply for this scholarship).”
Who is eligible for the Union Plus Scholarship?
- Current and retired members of participating unions, their spouses and their dependent children (as defined by IRS regulations). Note, grandchildren are not eligible unless the grandchild is a legal dependent (as defined by IRS regulations) of the union member.
- At least one year of continuous union membership by the applicant, applicant’s spouse or parent (if applicant is a dependent). The one year membership minimum must be satisfied by May 31, 2020.
- Participating union members from the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada are eligible.
- Union members do not have to purchase any Union Plus program product or participate in any Union Plus programs to apply for the scholarships and scholarship awards are not based upon participation in a Union Plus program.
- The applicant must be accepted into a U.S. accredited college or university, community college or technical or trade school at the time the award is issued. Awards must be used for the 2020 — 2021 school year.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible.
How much is the Union Plus Scholarship worth?
Amounts range from $500 to $4,000. These one-time cash awards are for study beginning in the Fall of 2020. Students may re-apply each year.
When is the deadline to apply?
Applications are available starting in mid-June, and a complete application must be received on or before 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on January 31, 2020. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
Best of luck to all applicants!