The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and McDonalds are once again proud to offer the TMCF | McDonald’s Black and Positively Golden Scholarship. This is a truly “golden” opportunity for high-achieving Black students with leadership capabilities and financial need. Applicants must plan on attending one of TMCF’s 47 publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) or a Predominantly Black Institutions (PBIs).
Who is eligible to apply for the TMCF | McDonald’s Black and Positively Golden Scholarship?
Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Enroll full-time as a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior at TMCF Member-Schools during the 2020-2021 academic school year
- For Incoming Freshman – Provide proof of acceptance into or enrollment at a TMCF member-schools as an incoming freshman during the 2020-2021 academic school year
- Current cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Able to demonstrate leadership abilities
- Able to demonstrate a financial need
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551
There are multiple components to this application, so plan accordingly. See the website for full details, but for starters:
- Copy of the 2020-2021 FAFSA Student Aid Report
- Transcript (official or unofficial) for your most recently completed academic term-this should include your end of Fall 2019 grades and cumulative GPA
- Current resume
There is also both an essay and video requirement in response to the following:
- Essay (min.500 words)- What does attending an HBCU mean to you? Why did you choose an HBCU?
- Video (1 -2 mins.)- What makes you Black & Positively Golden?
How much is this scholarship worth?
Six students will be awarded scholarships of $15,000 ($7,500 for each semester) for costs associated with tuition and fees.
When is the application deadline for this scholarship?
The window for this scholarship is brief; the application opens May 11, 2020, and closes June 15, 2020 (11:59 PM EST).
Best of luck to all who apply!