Through the Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund, the National Basketball Association (NBA), offers the NBA- David J. Stern Sports Scholarship, which provides a talented and enthusiastic student the opportunity to enhance his or her studies at a college or university of his or her choice, including any one of the nation’s four-year Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). The scholarship awarded each year will be determined on the basis of merit and need.
Scholarship Criteria for the NBA- David J. Stern Scholarship:
- Student must be enrolled full-time at a four-year college or university
- Open to all majors with an interest in sports
- Classified as a sophomore as of the beginning of Fall 2016
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale and maintains such grade point average in each contract year in which the student receives a scholarship
- Recipients must meet certain GPA and conduct requirements each academic year to remain eligible for renewal
The Application Process:
- Resume (include community service, leadership and employment/internship experience)
- 2015-2016 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA)
- Most recent transcript (unofficial or official transcript that includes GPA)
- Recommendation Letter from current school faculty or staff member
- Essay: in a minimum of 500 words, please address the following:
- Sports teaches many important lessons including teamwork, leadership and discipline. How have you embodied these qualities in your academics, on your team (if possible) and in your community?
- Describe what impact this scholarship will have on your education (financial or otherwise).
How much is the scholarship worth?
The recipient will receive a 3-year renewable scholarship at $10,000 per year (for a total not to exceed $30,000). In addition, the recipient will also have the opportunity to apply to intern at the NBA league office (dependent upon eligibility) as a rising senior and will receive direct mentorship from Commissioner Emeritus David Stern.
When is the deadline to apply for the NBA- David J. Stern Sports Scholarship?
The deadline is June 30, 2016 11:59 PM EST.
Best of luck to all applicants!