The HORIZONS Scholarship Program encourages women to pursue careers related to U.S. national security and defense and to provide development opportunities to women already working in these fields.
The scholarship competition is open to rising juniors and above, including graduate level, to further educational objectives of women who are U.S. citizens already employed in or planning careers in defense or national security. The scholarship focuses on selected fields such as cyber security, government relations, engineering, computer science, physics, mathematics, business, law, international relations, political science, military history, and economics.
Who is eligible to apply for a Horizons Scholarship?
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled at an accredited university or college, either full-time or part- time.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible; undergraduates must have attained at least junior level status (60 credits).
- Demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to national security or defense.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.25.
- Be a woman.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a member of Women in Defense
How much are the scholarships worth?
Since 1990, the Horizons Scholarship Program has made 125 awards of over $268,000.
When is the application due?
Completed applications, essays, recommendations and transcripts must be received no later than JULY 15, 2015. Send application packages to: WID HORIZONS, 2111 Wilson Blvd., Suite 400, Arlington, VA 22201-3061.
Best of luck to all applicants!