The Gates Millennium Scholars Program 2012
The Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS for short) is one of the most prestigious and most generous scholarships available to students!
This opportunity is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and each year 1,000 students will be named Gates Millennium Scholars! The amount of the award amount is dependent on the financial need of the recipient. This award is also dependent on tuition, room, board, and if the recipient is receiving any other financial aid.
You also need to remember that this scholarship is more than just a monetary scholarship–students will have access to leadership/personal development programs. Students will also have access to internship and fellowship opportunities and will even be eligible for graduate school scholarships! Check out the Gates Millennium Scholars website for more details!
To apply for this award, you must first be nominated by an educator or community leader.
In order to be eligible for the Gates Millennium Scholarship, students must:
- Be considered a racial minority (African American, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander, or Hispanic American)
- Have a GPA of at least a 3.3 (Students who have earned a GED are also eligible to apply!)
- Plan on enrolling in a college/university as a full-time student in the fall of 2012
- Meet the Federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria
- Have demonstrated leadership through community service or extracurricular activities
- Submit a completed application
1. Student Application (Nominee Personal Information Form)
2. Educator’s evaluation of the student’s academic record (Nominator Form)
3. Evaluation of the student’s community service and leadership activities (Recommender Form)