The Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship is a scholarship program that aims to support high-achieving high school seniors who have demonstrated financial need. Each year, 40 Jack Kent Cooke Scholars are selected and receive funding for four years of college. This funding includes tuition, living expenses, books, and other required fees.
What are the selection criteria for the Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship Program?
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation reviews each application individually with assistance from a panel of education experts. According to the website, among the criteria used in the selection process are:
- Exceptional academic ability and achievement: Strong academic record, academic awards and honors, and substantive assessments by educators providing confidential recommendations. This includes:
- unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above
- college entrance exam scores (SAT and/or ACT) in the top 15% nationally: SAT combined critical reading and math score of 1200 or above (using the old SAT scoring) or ACT composite score of 26 or above
- participation in available advanced courses
- commitment to learning
- intellectual curiosity
- Unmet financial need: Limited family income and assets in light of educational expenses. Substantial unmet educational costs after taking into account other scholarships and grants students may receive. Applicants with family income up to $95,000 are considered. A vast majority of scholarship recipients will be eligible to receive Pell grants.
- Persistence: Determination and perseverance in the face of challenges, ability to set and remain focused on goals and to put in the effort needed to meet those goals in the face of obstacles.
- Leadership: Ability to organize and positively influence others in school and out-of-school areas (family, religious community, sports, arts, etc.).
- Service to Others: Purposeful and meaningful commitment to others which may be evidenced by participation in volunteer/community service activities.
How much is the scholarship worth?
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation College Scholarship includes:
- Up to $40,000 per year to attend a four-year accredited undergraduate school
- Ability to pursue any area of study
- Personal advising about selecting a college and navigating financial aid
- Multifaceted advising about how to transition to college and maximize the college student experience
When is the application due?
The application is due November 18, 2021.
For a handy list of FAQs, click here.
Best of luck to all who apply!