The Gates Scholarship is an outstanding opportunity for high achieving, pell-eligible minority students. Using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the specific methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university as a guide, Gates Scholars receive funding for the full cost of attendance that exceeds other financial aid and the expected family contributions. Remember, tuition, fees, room, board, books, and transportation are all included in attendance calculations. In addition, the total cost may include other personal costs. In other words, if in doubt, apply! This scholarship is the opportunity of a lifetime for high-achieving, mature, and motivated students. Demonstrated leadership is also taken into consideration, as is extraordinary personal success skills such as perseverance.
Who is eligible to apply for the Gates Scholarship?
To apply, students must be:
- High school seniors
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
Additionally, a student must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university.
An ideal candidate will have:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
How much is the Gates Scholarship worth?
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance* that is not already covered by other financial aid and the expected family contribution, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
When is the application deadline for the Gates Scholarship?
The deadline to apply is September 15, 2020.
Good luck to all applicants!