Ron Brown Scholar Program
According to their website, “The Ron Brown Scholar Fund is a 501(c)3 public charity, managed by an independent Board of Trustees. The Program which was named for the late Secretary of Commerce and inspired by his dedication to public service focuses on encouraging civic engagement among Scholars while promoting academic excellence, community, and lifelong interactions. Recipients are young African Americans of outstanding promise who are offered academic scholarships, service opportunities, and leadership experiences.”
Who is eligible to apply to the Ron Brown Scholar Program?
- Must be Black/African American.
- Must excel academically.
- Must exhibit exceptional leadership potential.
- Must participate in community service activities.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Be a US citizen or hold a permanent resident visa card.
- Be a current high school senior at the time of your application. NOTE: Current college students are not eligible to apply.
How much is the Ron Brown Scholar Program scholarship worth?
Ron Brown Scholars receive four-year $40,000 scholarships ($10,000 each year).
When is the application for the Ron Brown Scholar Program due?
- November 1: Early Applicant Deadline: Interested applicants who complete their applications by November 1st will be considered for the Ron Brown Scholar Program and will be eligible to have their contact information forwarded to a select number of additional colleges and scholarship providers. Students who apply under this deadline must make the appropriate designation on their application. Applicants are still responsible for submitting materials to any colleges, universities and scholarship programs for which they are interested.
- January 9: Final postmarked deadline in order to be considered for the Ron Brown Scholar Program ONLY.
For scholarship details, click here.
Best of luck to all who apply!