According to their website,”James R. Hoffa became a Teamster member in 1934 and served as General President for 14 years, and, in recognition of his tireless service to the union and its members, was honored as General President Emeritus for life. At the November 1999 General Executive Board meeting, then-General Secretary-Treasurer C. Thomas Keegel presented a resolution to establish the new scholarship fund.”
Who is eligible to apply for the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship?
1. Be the son, daughter or financial dependent (this does not include spouses) of a Teamster member (hereafter also referred to as “Teamster Member Relation”) who qualifies (or in the case of retirees, has qualified) as a member in “good standing” in the Teamsters Union as defined in Article X, Section 5 of the International Constitution;
2. Be in his/her last year of high school and may not apply if he/she has already graduated from high school;
3. Be in the top 15% of his/her high school class;
4. Plan to submit excellent SAT or ACT scores for evaluation (U.S. only);
5. Plan to attend an accredited four-year college or university within the United States or Canada, as a full-time student. Those who plan to attend non- academic or certificate programs or community college may not apply with this application.
What is the amount of the scholarship?
Scholarship winners are awarded either a $10,000.00 award split up over four years at $1,250.00 per semester, or a one-time $1,000.00 award. Winners of the $10,000.00 award will have their scholarship renewed each year, pursuant to the Scholarship Renewal guidelines, and must maintain a GPA of 3.0 (B average) or higher.
When is the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship application due?
The application is due March 31, 2019.
Best of luck to all applicants!