Created in memory of Burger King Co-founder James “Jim” W. McLamore, the Burger King Scholars program has awarded $32 million in scholarships to more than 30,000 high school students, Burger King employees and their families across the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico since 2000. In 2017 alone, the Foundation awarded $3.7 million to more than 3,400 students in North America.
Who is eligible to apply to Burger King Scholars Program?
The four-year scholarship is intended to help the top students that apply achieve their educational and professional goals, along with serving as a tribute to Jim himself. Here are the details:
- Be a citizen of the United States or Canada,
- Have graduated from high school within the last three years or be a full-time student who is a senior at a high school or home school in the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico,
- Students who are applying as a full-time freshman to a four-year accredited, college or university that is located in the United States and is exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code,
- Students who have a cumulative unweighted grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.3,
- Students who have a minimum ACT Composite score of 25 or a minimum combined SAT score of 1700,
- Students who demonstrate an active leadership role in community service, athletics, and/or similar co-curricular activity (such as student government, team sports, fraternal life, etc); and,
- Students who demonstrate substantial work experience
What are the selection criteria?
- Academic achievements
- Participation in school and community activities
- Length of employment (enrichment awards only)
- Work experience (James W. McLamore “WHOPPER” Scholarship only)
- Financial information (James W. McLamore “WHOPPER” Scholarship only)
How much are the Burger King Scholars Program awards?
Scholarship grants range from $1,000 to $50,000 and are intended to help students offset the cost of attending college or post-secondary vocational/technical school. Recipients are selected based on their grade point average (GPA), work experience, extracurricular activities and community service.
When is the application for the Burger King Scholars Program due?
The application period is open through December 15, 2018.
For a handy FAQs page, click here.
For additional information regarding the scholarship program: Call 507-931-8340, referring to BURGER KING℠ Scholars or email email@example.com
Best of luck to all applicants!